FINDING REST IN JESUS
- Ask someone to pray in
- Ask for highlights from the week
- SUBMIT ATTENDANCE TODAY (search “DG” in your email) & confirm the DG leaders in your group have also submitted attendance for their meetings
- Go over lesson (below)
- Encourage all to give on the app
- Ask for prayer requests and pray
- GROWTH BOOKS are on sale NOW!!! Start off the new year right and get one in the foyer today.
- Morning devotionals every Monday at 6:30am!!! https://zoom.us/j/93581893604
- Holy warriors relaunch is Tuesday Feb 27th @7pm. In the vip room. Sign up with your DG leader.
- Youth Baptism Feb 25 @11am. Sign up with your DG leader.
- CA will be saved!!! This event will be Saturday Feb 25th @1pm in downtown San Bernardino.
GROWTH BOOK QUESTIONS
- Who would like to share a highlight, praise report, or testimony from this week?
- What did you learn from this week’s sermon?
- What is something you accomplished or want to accomplish this week?
FINDING REST IN JESUS
Matthew 11:25-30 NLT
25 At that time Jesus prayed this prayer: “O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, thank you for hiding these things from those who think themselves wise and clever, and for revealing them to the childlike. 26 Yes, Father, it pleased you to do it this way! 27 “My Father has entrusted everything to me. No one truly knows the Son except the Father, and no one truly knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.” 28 Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”
Question: What did you learn from what we just read?
Growth Principle #1 – God honors the humble and grateful with understanding (V.25-26)
25 At that time Jesus prayed this prayer: “O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, thank you for hiding these things from those who think themselves wise and clever, and for revealing them to the childlike. 26 Yes, Father, it pleased you to do it this way!
- Jesus praised the father for revealing the truth to those that are humble.
- We need to acknowledge that we need to live life only depending on God. If we don’t we are limited in wisdom and understanding that we need to be receiving.
- God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble
James 4:6-7 NKJV
6 But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: “God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.” 7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.
- We live in humility by being graceful.
- Gratitude creates a humble heart that responds to the Holy Ghost’s guidance.
Question: How has God honored you by giving you understanding?
Growth Principle #2 – Jesus invited the weary and the heavy-burdened to find rest in him. (v.27-28)
27 “My Father has entrusted everything to me. No one truly knows the Son except the Father, and no one truly knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.” 28 Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.
DEFINITION – Rest (anapauō): to cease from any movement or labour in order to recover and collect his strength, recovery of strength, to give rest, refresh, to keep quiet and calm and patient expectation.
- Jesus invites us to stop trying to achieve right standing with Him through our own works.
- The only way to relieve that burden is to humble ourselves and receive His grace and rest.
- As we rest in Jesus, we allow him to do all the heavy lifting in our lives.
- When we go to him he is graceful, we can only find this type of mercy and grace in Jesus. No one is as graceful as the Lord.
- We are only able to find rest in Jesus because of his grace.
- The rest that Jesus offers is only available to those who have completely entrusted their life to His care.
- When we don’t find rest in Jesus we end up finding rest in worldly things which leads us to destruction because it’s not true rest.
- Putting all your heavy burdens on worldly things won’t give you rest, maybe temporarily but not forever. Wiith Jesus we find eternal rest.
Question: Why should we find rest in Jesus and not the world?
Growth Principle #3 – The more we learn to become humble and gentle like Jesus, the easier life will be. (v. 29-30)
29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”
- Jesus chose to come gently and humbly because he knew that if he came mean or mad at us for the sins we committed then we wouldn’t find rest in him.
- Jesus knew that by coming gently and humbly, it would bring us closer to him and not make us run from him.
- Humble means having or showing a modest or low estimate of one’s own importance
- Jesus never gives us a burden to bear because he came to come and take the burden.
Question: Why is it important that Jesus came humbly and gently?
What did you learn from today’s lesson and how will you apply it?
1 Chronicles 29:9
The people rejoiced over the offerings, for they had given freely and wholeheartedly to the LORD, and King David was filled with joy.
When we decide to give wholeheartedly we tend to feel joy because giving wholeheartedly you feel no pressure. Giving to the Lord is something we should rejoice about because he’s the one who blesses us with more than we can imagine. Giving shows God that we are willing to give up things for him and so in return (even though we don’t deserve it) he gives us an abundance of blessings back.
Let’s give today using The Way app.
Who are some of the people you believe God is going to reach?
PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR ATTENDANCE !!!!