- OPENING PRAYER – Ask one person to open the meeting in prayer.
- GROWTH QUESTIONS – Ask everyone the Growth Questions.
- ATTENDANCE – Take attendance through the DG Attendance System.
- TODAY’S LESSON – Go over this week’s DG lesson.
- GIVING – Encourage everyone to give on the App.
- CLOSING PRAYER – Ask for prayer requests and pray.
FINDING REST IN JESUS
Matthew 11:25-30 NLT 25 At that time Jesus prayed this prayer: “O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, thank you for hiding these things from those who think themselves wise and clever, and for revealing them to the childlike. 26 Yes, Father, it pleased you to do it this way! 27 “My Father has entrusted everything to me. No one truly knows the Son except the Father, and no one truly knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.” 28 Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”
- Jesus praised the Father for revealing the truth to the humble.
- Humility is a prerequisite for having God open our hearts to receive Him and His revelation.
- Until we are willing to acknowledge our absolute dependence on God, we will be limited in the wisdom and understanding that we can receive.
- When we walk in pride, we cut ourselves off from the revelation and empowerment of the Holy Spirit.
- God resist the proud and gives grace to the humble.
James 4:6-7 (NKJV) – But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: “God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.” Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.
- The best way to practice humility is through being grateful.
- Gratitude creates a humble heart that responds to the Holy Spirit’s guidance.
1 Thessalonians 5:18-19 (AMP) – 18 In every situation [no matter what the circumstances] be thankful and continually give thanks to God; for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus. 19 Do not quench [subdue, or be unresponsive to the working and guidance of] the [Holy] Spirit.
- Jesus thanked God for giving revelation and understanding to those who were childlike.
- Jesus gave us a great example of how we should receive God’s truth with open, grateful hearts.
- DEFINITION – Rest (anapauō): to cease from any movement or labour in order to recover and collect his strength, recovery of strength, to give rest, refresh, to keep quiet and calm and patient expectation.
- Jesus invites us to stop trying to achieve right standing with Him through our own works.
- The only way to relieve that burden is to humble ourselves and receive His grace and rest.
- When Jesus says, “rest for your souls,” He is promising more than just physical rest for our bodies. In fact, Jesus makes it clear that His rest is for laborers.
- His invitation to take on His yoke is an invitation to work with Him.
- Jesus also made it clear that His yoke, the burden of working beside Him, was light and easy in comparison to difficult and heavy load that the religious leaders were commanding people to carry.
- In other words, Jesus does all the heavy lifting in this partnership.
- When we come to Him, He gives us His grace. His unmerited goodness is available to all that come to Him and trust Him for their spiritual well-being.
The rest that Jesus offers is only available to those who have completely entrusted their life to His care.
- Although Jesus had every right to claim the highest and most exalted position, He choose to come gently and humbly.
- DEFINITION – Humble (tapeinós): having or showing a modest or low estimate of one’s own importance; willingness to make oneself low
- Jesus’ gentle and humble character reassures us that we can learn from Him. He has something to teach us.
- When we choose to emulate Jesus’ character and learn from Him, He promises we will find rest for our souls.
- Though Jesus came to earth first in humility and modesty, the day is coming when He will return as victorious conqueror with power and great glory.
Matthew 24:30 ERV Everyone will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds in the sky. He will come with power and great glory.